The Hungry Ghost Festival is COMING !!
The Ghost Festival, also known as the Hungry Ghost Festival in modern day, Zhong Yuan Jie or Yu Lan Jie (traditional Chinese: 盂蘭節) is a traditional Buddhist and Taoist festival held in Asian countries. In the Chinese calendar (alunisolar calendar), the Ghost Festival is on the 15th night of the seventh month (14th in southern China).
In Chinese culture, the fifteenth day of the seventh month in the lunar calendar is calledGhost Day and the seventh month in general is regarded as the Ghost Month (鬼月), in which ghosts and spirits, including those of the deceased ancestors, come out from thelower realm. Distinct from both the Qingming Festival (in spring) and Double Ninth Festival(in autumn) in which living descendants pay homage to their deceased ancestors, during Ghost Festival, the deceased are believed to visit the living.
On the fifteenth day the realms of Heaven and Hell and the realm of the living are open and both Taoists and Buddhists would perform rituals to transmute and absolve the sufferings of the deceased. Intrinsic to the Ghost Month is veneration of the dead, where traditionally the filial piety of descendants extends to their ancestors even after their deaths. Activities during the month would include preparing ritualistic food offerings, burning incense, and burning joss paper, apapier-mâché form of material items such as clothes, gold and other fine goods for the visiting spirits of the ancestors. Elaborate meals (often vegetarian meals) would be served with empty seats for each of the deceased in the family treating the deceased as if they are still living. Ancestor worship is what distinguishes Qingming Festival from Ghost Festival because the latter includes paying respects to all deceased, including the same and younger generations, while the former only includes older generations. Other festivities may include, buying and releasing miniature paper boats and lanterns on water, which signifies giving directions to the lost ghosts and spirits of the ancestors and other deities.
[ THINGS YOU CANNOT DO DURING THIS FESTIVAL ]
1. Do not go for Food Hunting till late. Spirits may follow you back home.
2. Do not Step/Kick/Eat Offering Foods, offering items, Joss Stick and etc along the roadside.
3. Do not get married or have any party during this Hungry Ghost Festival month.
4. Do not make Jokes about Ghost when you eating with friends.
5. Do not wear Red Shirts/Clothes with High Heel during night time to any Dinner/Party.
6. If u saw Sushi on the Floor during middle of the night, Do not pick it !!
7. Do not eat something smelly like Belacan during middle of the night or near any Graveyard.
8. Do not put your Chopstick by inserting it into your Rice Bowl.
Above statement might be Ridiculous or Bullshit for you as Every Race or Religions have their own believes.. And if you dont believe, you may try it out and Remember, The Admin will not be responsible for any caused.
# Photo taken from google.com
# Explanation on Hungry Ghost Festival taken from wikipedia.com
# Things you cannot do is from Admin of Kuching Food Critics.